Michael Seabrook, CCM, CCE, to Lead 2023 Board of Directors
The Club Management Association of America announces its official 2023 election results. Voting was conducted both online in advance of and on site at the 2023 World Conference and Club Business Expo in Orlando, FL; the election results were announced at the Closing Business Session held at the conclusion of the Conference.
All five bylaw propositions were approved by the CMAA Membership.
- Housekeeping Update
- Procedural Update to Article VI. Officers
- Chairman Change to Article IX. Standing and Special Committees
- Name and Oversight Changes to Article IX. Standing and Special Committees, Specific to the Strategic Planning Committee
- Name and Oversight Changes to Article IX. Standing and Special Committees, Specific to the Bylaws Committee
2023 Officers and Directors
The 2023 Board will be led by its elected officers:
- Chairman Michael Seabrook, CCM, CCE, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer, Belle Meade Country Club, Nashville, TN
- Vice Chairman Joe Mendez, CCM, CCE, General Manager, Riverton Country Club, Cinnaminson, NJ
- Secretary–Treasurer Richard LaRocca, CCM, CCE, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer, Beechmont Country Club, Cleveland, OH
- Immediate Past Chairman Mitchell Platt, MCM, CCE, General Manager, Cosmos Club, Washington, DC
Newly elected or reelected as Directors are:
- Haissam Baityeh, CCM, CCE, Chief Operating Officer, Country Club of Spartanburg, Spartanburg, SC, elected to a three-year term
- Jeff Isbell, CCM, General Manager, Renaissance Golf Club, Haverhill, MA, elected to a one-year term
- Joseph Krenn, CCM, CCE, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer, Farmington Country Club, Charlottesville, VA, reelected to a three-year term
- Kimberly Clark Warren, CCM, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer, Saucon Valley Country Club, Bethlehem, PA, elected to three-year term
Directors continuing to serve on the CMAA Board are:
- Janine Budzius, CCM, CCE, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer, Philadelphia Country Club, Gladwyne, PA
- Casey Newman, CCM, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer, Lakeside Country Club, Houston, TX
- William Shonk, CCM, CCE, General Manager, Princess Anne Country Club, Virginia Beach, VA
- Jack Slaughter, CCM, CCE, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer, Carolina Country Club, Raleigh, NC
- Michael S. Wheeler, MCM, CCE, General Manager/Chief Operating Officer, Cherokee Town & Country Club, Atlanta, GA
The CMAA Board of Directors is comprised of 13 club management professionals working collaboratively with the membership, National Committees and Task Forces, Partners, and the National Headquarters team, to advance the profession and the greater industry.
CMAA Bylaw Amendments for 2023
There are five proposed Bylaw amendments for your consideration in the 2023 CMAA election. Due to a fair amount of reading involved, the Bylaws Committee and the National Board kindly request your thoughtful review of these proposals in advance of accessing the online ballot or voting onsite at the World Conference and Club Business Expo in Orlando, FL.
As of the August 1, 2022 deadline for submission of Bylaw propositions, the following Bylaw proposals were submitted to the CMAA Bylaws Committee and the Board of Directors and were unanimously approved. Changes are noted below with strikeouts and red text.
1) Housekeeping Issue:
To reflect the previously revised change to operational titling (effective 2018), update the executive staff position of Chief Executive Officer (or CEO) to President & CEO throughout the CMAA Bylaws document.
2) Article VI. OFFICERS—Procedural Update:
Section 2. Election of Officers. The Officers of the Association shall be the Immediate Past Chairman, Chairman, Vice Chairman, and Secretary-Treasurer. A current member(s) of the Board of Directors may be nominated for the office of Secretary-Treasurer by expressing such interest in writing to the Chairman and CEO by May 31 April 30 of each year. The Board of Directors will elect, by confidential ballot, a Secretary-Treasurer from within its ranks at its summer spring Board meeting. Once elected, the Secretary-Treasurer shall ascend to the offices of Vice Chairman, Chairman, and Immediate Past Chairman unless the Board of Directors determines that such ascension should not occur and removes the individual from office pursuant to Section 9 of this Article. In voting for any candidate for office, if there is more than one candidate, the candidate receiving the most votes shall be declared the winner.
Recommended and approved by the CMAA National Board
3) Article IX. STANDING AND SPECIAL COMMITTEES—Chairman Change:
Section 2. Budget & Finance Committee. The Budget & Finance Committee shall consist of the Chairman, Vice Chairman, Secretary-Treasurer, and up to two (2) additional Professional members. The Vice President Secretary-Treasurer shall serve as Committee Chairman. The Committee shall counsel with the Chief Executive Officer on the annual budget of the Association and prepare recommendations for the Board of Directors. The Committee may perform such other duties in connection with the finances of the Association as the Board of Directors may determine from time to time.
Recommended by the CMAA Strategic Planning Committee.
4) Article IX. STANDING AND SPECIAL COMMITTEES—Name and Oversight Changes:
Section 4. Strategic Planning & Organizational Culture Committee. The Strategic Planning & Organizational Culture Committee shall be chaired by the Vice Chairman and shall consist of the Chairman, Secretary-Treasurer, and such other selected representatives from the Board of Directors or membership as appointed by the Chairman in cooperation with the Vice Chairman. The purpose of the Strategic Planning & Organizational Culture Committee shall be to create a long-term development plan for the Association as needed and to determine the best strategies to achieve the Association’s organizational goals and objectives strategic plan for the Association as needed; to assess, discuss, and recommend the best strategies to achieve the Association’s organizational goals and objectives; and to develop, implement, and measure CMAA resources and services to drive a culture of inclusion and acceptance. The Committee shall provide the framework to advance the Association’s mission, vision, and goals, and prepare an annual report of make regular recommendations to the Board of Directors for its consideration and approval.
Recommended by the CMAA Strategic Planning Committee.
5) Article IX. STANDING AND SPECIAL COMMITTEES—Name and Oversight Changes:
Section 5. Bylaws Bylaw & Policy Committee. The Bylaws Bylaw & Policy Committee shall consist of selected representatives from the Board of Directors or membership as appointed by the Chairman. The function of the Bylaws Bylaw & Policy Committee is to review and evaluate the Association’s Bylaws and proposed amendments or repeals to confirm whether or not matters addressed are legally appropriate and in the best interest of the Association as presented by eligible voting members, Chapters and the Board of Directors; to review, amend, and consider recommendations for the Association’s Policy Manual; and to prepare an annual report with recommendations to the Board of Directors for their consideration and approval.
Recommended by the CMAA Board of Directors
Online voting for the next election will open in December.