Who We Are
Founded in 1927, the Club Management Association of America (CMAA) is the largest professional association for club management professionals with 6,800 members. Our members contribute to the success of more than 2,500 country, golf, athletic, city, faculty, military, town, and yacht clubs.
The objectives of the Association are to promote relationships between club management professionals and other similar professions; to encourage the education and advancement of members; and to provide the resources needed for efficient and successful club operations.
The Club Management Association of America advances the profession of club management by fulfilling the educational and related needs of its members.
This mission is accomplished through the following strategic priorities:
- Providing state-of-the-art educational programs;
- Representing the members to allied associations, club members and a broader public; and
- Providing unique information and resources that increase member performance and career potential.
CMAA's Brand Promise
CMAA provides its members with the expertise to deliver an exceptional club experience that fulfills the unexpressed needs and desires of its members and guests consistent with their lifestyles. We enhance our members' success by offering professional leadership development, ethical standards, and responsive services.
- Certification—To enhance the member's professional status through certification.
- Club Management Profession and Individual Clubs—To advance the club management profession and to assist individual CMAA members and their clubs.
- Communications—To effectively communicate with members, clubs, government, and the media through relevant content, publications, and other materials.
- Professional Development—To provide a wide variety of educational programs and materials to meet the diverse educational needs of club management professionals.
- Ethics—To encourage CMAA members to be knowledgeable and diligent regarding the use of sound business and ethical principles in dealings with fellow club management professionals, club boards/members, and other associates.
- Career Services—To assist CMAA members in their career development and in job opportunities and to assist clubs in securing management personnel.
- Advocacy—To develop new strategies, resources, and education to prepare club management professionals to influence outcomes in club boardrooms and the halls of government.
- Membership—To recruit, retain, and engage members and to effectively demonstrate the value of CMAA membership.
- Other Organizational Relations—To foster appropriate relations with other organizations that will contribute to the objectives of the club industry and CMAA's members.
- Club Resources—To provide best practices, tools, and exclusive options that help club management professionals become stronger leaders and achieve exceptional club operations.
- Research and Development—To conduct research and develop, analyze and disseminate information/data related to club management and the club industry.
Our Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Club Management Association of America (CMAA), in principle and in practice, values and seeks diverse and inclusive participation within the club management profession. CMAA believes in and is committed to diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) in the management and staffing of clubs, as well as the management and staffing of CMAA. Support of the core principles in DEI are manifested through management and hiring practices, recruiting, training, and access to career growth within clubs and the Association.
To equip current and future CMAA members in support of DEI, the Association’s goals are:
- To ensure inclusion of education, information, and other support in CMAA’s professional development and related member offerings that promote excellence in club management, as well as a healthy club staff environment of diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- To adhere to employment practices that result in a diversity of race, gender, and culture in the workplace.
- To ensure there are active member communities, conversations, research, and programs on DEI at CMAA and within clubs that support CMAA’s principles; continue to grow the CMAA community to be reflective of society.
- To ensure the Association is open and accessible to all interested in membership that meet CMAA’s membership criteria.
- To select candidates and appointees for CMAA’s governance with the goal of having the most qualified individuals along with making CMAA leadership representative of race, gender, and culture of its membership.
- To encourage alignment of DEI organizational goals and objectives with CMAA’s affiliated Chapters.
Adopted September 2021.
Our Reports & News
Headquartered in Alexandria, VA, CMAA is a 501(c)(6) organization and operates according to its governing documents, association best practices, and strategic plan established by the Board of Directors.
- 2022 Annual Report (PDF)
- 2022 Audited Financials (PDF)
- 2020-2024 CMAA Strategic Plan (PDF)
- CMAA Bylaws (PDF)