Book Club: Teambuilding in a Unique Way
How has this idea enhanced your club's operation, etc.?
During the off-season, our golf professional staff started a book club for teambuilding among the staff. The books were chosen by our Director of Golf and have been on a variety of topics, all with teamwork or leadership at their core.
How was this idea implemented, and what have been the club members' reactions?
Here’s how our book club worked:
- Handed out books to staff with date for discussion set.
- Kept the discussion informal to encourage participation.
- Created specific agendas in advance to keep conversation on topic.
- Set a goal for the book, i.e. improved communication, better teamwork, stronger leadership skills.
- Created an action list for using information and new skills.
We use what we learn from the book club in a variety of ways. The biggest benefits are the side conversations between staff about the book, teamwork, or leadership. This idea gave staff at every level a singular goal of completing the book and providing their opinions, allowing us to shape the employee culture together as a team.