Employee Garden Initiative
The Chairman's Award Winner
How has this idea enhanced your club's operation, etc.?
In 2021, Tara Iti launched an employee garden. Our goal was to provide a place where our people could come together to learn and share in essential life skills, grow their own food while lowering their carbon footprint and also be an amenity whenever home spaces for gardening were not readily available.
This idea has enhanced our Club Operations and working environment in the following ways:
- Enhancement of team morale and pride.
- Fosters social interaction between staff members and their families, promotes teamwork and cooperation.
- Increased friendships and encouraged connection amongst those working together on the project.
- The Employee garden area has become a part of our company workplace. It has helped to reduce stress along with providing other health benefits such as well-being and increased physical activity.
- Provided a great opportunity to learn new skills and encouraged knowledge sharing.
The Tara Iti Employee Garden is run entirely by the staff, for the staff, with many bringing in their families along to have some fun, grow and eat their produce and share in the experience.
How was this idea implemented, and what have been the club members' reactions?
By using recyclable building materials on site, natural resources and available landmass, the Club was able to initiate this project with next to no cost. The idea was suggested to management and initiated and facilitated by a small group of employees. As time goes by more staff members and families are getting involved in the project and the garden itself will continue to grow and evolve over time.
The garden is aligned with the Club’s guiding principles and continues to demonstrate a commitment to sustainability and environmental stewardship of the land. It has received a positive response and reaction from all those involved in the project to date.
Additionally, this green space and interactive landscaping will continue to be an attractive amenity for all our employees and their families well into the future.