January 21, 2022
2022 World Conference and Club Business Expo Regular Registration Ends January 24
CMAA’s World Conference and Club Business Expo is right around the corner The industry’s largest annual gathering and the only event focused on the business of running a club, provides a multitude of opportunities to chart a new course and forge ahead in 2022:
- Advance your career with more than 70 education sessions exploring the today’s complex challenges – recruiting and hiring talent in a competitive market; using technology to improve member service; meeting and exceeding unprecedented member interest and demand; leadership in chaotic times; and much more.
- Meet your certification goals and earn up to 21.5 Club Management Institute (CMI) Education Credits
- Find new talent for your club and mentor future industry leaders as you engage with student attendees at the Career Opportunities and Mentoring Showcase.
- Gain new ideas and insights for your club with the Idea Fair and Open Space.
- Research and secure solutions for your club’s challenges at the Club Business Expo.
- Expand your network and reconnect with industry peers and colleagues.
- Schedule time for your personal and professional growth and join us at the San Diego Convention Center in San Diego, CA, February 19-23.
Don’t delay. Regular registration pricing ends January 24!
Volunteer to Introduce Speakers at World Conference
The 2022 World Conference will feature more than sixty education sessions. Each year, the Education Department relies on the kindness of volunteers to introduce the session speakers. Please consider introducing one or more sessions. The process is simple. First, visit the Volunteer Page and look for the sessions that you are planning to attend. If you see a session that you would like to introduce, you just need to click on the “click here to reserve” link and enter your information.
You will receive a confirmation email with the session date, time, and room location listed. Once on site, just stop by the Member Services Pavilion about 15 minutes prior to the session and a member of the Education Department team will give you the introduction text. Each introduction takes about three minutes. Please feel free to contact David McCabe if you have any questions.
Thank you in advance to all who volunteer to introduce speakers.
Membership & Member Benefits
President and CEO’s Perspective: Embracing New Leadership Goals
Happy New Year CMAA! It was President Harry S. Truman who said, “Not all readers are leaders, but all leaders are readers.” I know many of you subscribe to this quote and I do too. As we kick off the new year, I want to share some leadership messages I have read over the past few months that resonated with me, some of which may do the same for you, as our leadership abilities continue to evolve in 2022.
Elect Your CMAA Leaders!
Online voting is currently open and will remain available through Thursday, February 18, 11:59 p.m., ET. There’s a great slate of candidates who are prepared to serve the Association on your behalf.
For the 2022 National Election, three, three-year terms and one, one-year term are open. While the number of candidates on the slate is equal to the number of vacancies on the Board, your vote is important in determining term length. Voter eligibility and access as well as the 2022 candidate profiles and videos may be found on the Board Elections page.
The 2022 election results will be tabulated by the voting software for announcement at the Closing Business Session on Wednesday, February 23 and will also be posted on the CMAA website. Let your CMAA voice be heard – join your peers at the polls!
The Ballast Point Experience: A Pre-Conference Seminar
A pioneering brewery born 25 years ago within the hallowed, hopped walls of San Diego’s Home Brew Mart, the complete art of the craft swims in the DNA of Ballast Point Brewing Company. From bringing a hoppy twist to a porter or adding four types of malt to its amber ale, to creating the breakthrough gold-medal winning Sculpin IPA, Ballast Point is known for adding its touch and asking if there’s a better way.
See, taste, and learn more about the booming craft beer business and trends with your CMAA colleagues and Ballast Point owner/operator Brendan Watters. The animated Watters and his talented team of experts and brewers will take us through a day of learning, networking, touring, and tasting!
Seminar Registration: $275 for CMAA members; $375 for non-members. Four (4) CMI credits will be awarded to participants upon completion.
Transportation to and from the San Diego Marriott as well as lunch and brews included in the registration fee for this experience. Must be 21 years of age to participate.
Last Call for Idea Fair Entries
Time is running out to submit an Idea Fair entry! The competition and showcase of ideas will be held at the 2022 World Conference & Club Business Expo, February 19-23. The deadline to submit your entry is January 24.
New this year: you will submit your entries online and CMAA will print the board(s) for you! You will not be printing and shipping or hand carrying your entries like in past years.
In addition to the “Most Innovative Idea Award,” there will be a “Showstopper Award” and a “Chairman’s Award” given out by the judging committee. Make sure your idea stands out from the rest to be considered for these exciting new awards!
Read more details on how to enter, as well as category information and to access the official online entry form.
We look forward to seeing your ideas in San Diego!
Congratulations to the 2022 Singerling Scholarship Winners
The Club Foundation is pleased to announce the 2022 recipients of the James B. Singerling Scholarship. This scholarship was created to honor CMAA’s long-time CEO, Jim Singerling, CCM, and his 25 years of organizational leadership. This scholarship makes it possible for recipients to attend the annual CMAA World Conference and Club Business Expo for the first time as a club management professional. These individuals will attend the forthcoming event in San Diego, CA, February 19-23.
Congratulations to this year’s recipients:
Jacqulynn E. Barnes
Yacht Club of Stone Harbor,
Stone Harbor, NJ
San Jose Country Club,
Brendan P. Clark
Interlachen Country Club,
Ansley Golf Club,
Jonathan David Griffith
Ansley Golf Club,
Support The Club Foundation at the 2022 World Conference
Each year, The Club Foundation presents several events during the World Conference. Proceeds from these events support scholarships and grants for CMAA members throughout the coming year. We rely of the generosity of our members who support these events, support The Foundation, and add excitement to their conference experience. Without your participation, we simply would not be able to fulfill our mission of awarding much-needed financial support for the continuing education of awardees.
- Golf Tournament: The Club Foundation Golf Tournament takes place on Friday afternoon, February 18 at the beautiful Coronado Golf Course in San Diego. So far, more than 100 people have registered to participate, leaving fewer than 20 slots available. To sign up for the golf tournament, add it to your World Conference registration or modify your existing registration to add the event.
- Club Love Fun Run/Walk: This annual event is taking place now on our virtual platform and the live 5K takes place on Tuesday morning, February 22. Registrants can choose to participate both virtually and in person. Add the run to your conference registration or modify your existing registration to add the event. Even if you’re not registered for World Conference this year, you can still sign up and participate virtually.
- Silent Auction: Always a fun opportunity to bid on and win wines and other exciting auction items, this year’s silent auction takes place virtually beginning the morning of February 14 through the evening of February 22. You can sign up on the platform at any time and help raise critical funds for scholarships and grants.
- After Dark: This year’s After Dark event is sponsored by CMAA Education Partner, ClubProcure. Join us for a conference-end party on February 22 celebrating our industry, The Club Foundation, and you. The event is open to all attendees and there is no cost to attend, and no RSVP required.
Did You Know:
Wine Dinner tickets are now available for purchase by all CMAA World Conference attendees. The 33rd Annual Wine Society Dinner will take place on Monday, February 21, at the San Diego Yacht Club starting at 6:00 p.m. To purchase tickets, please contact Alanna Eckard.
Share Your Perspective in this Latest Survey
You are invited to participate in the 2021 Club Leader’s Perspective Survey, a GGA Partners research initiative administered in partnership with CMAA. This survey explores recent trends and reactions within the club industry, serving as a contemporary update on the pressing needs of club leaders across the country.
The survey is estimated to take 20 minutes to complete and address the following sections:
- Section 1 – Club Profile
- Section 2 – Industry Outlook
- Section 3 – Access and Utilization
- Section 4 – Member Experience Insights
- Section 5 – Capital and Finance
- Section 6 – Inflationary Impacts on Service
The results, in summary form, will be available to those who complete the survey.
Support Your New Hires with the Club Resource Center
As new hires come in, feel confident and prepared with Staff Training 101! The Club Resource Center (CRC) offers a training series that contains eleven popular courses on various subjects that you can use during onboarding to arm your new team members with valuable knowledge.
- Health and Safety in the Workplace
- Sexual Harassment Prevention
- Workplace Discrimination Prevention
- Communication and Ethics
- Stellar Customer Service Best Practices
An annual CRC subscription costs less than $100 a month for UNLIMITED access and users. With a CRC subscription, your leadership and staff team will have access to hundreds of essential training courses and resources to take them to the next level.
Trends and News
Supreme Court Blocks Enforcement of OSHA’s Vaccination & Testing ETS
On January 13, the US Supreme Court blocked enforcement and implementation of the Occupational Safety & Health Administration (OSHA) COVID-19 Vaccination and Testing Emergency Temporary Standard (ETS). The ETS mandates clubs with 100 or more employees implement a vaccination or test requirement which was scheduled to become effective and enforceable beginning February 9.
Demand for Remaining FY2022 H-2B Visas Surpasses Supply & Randomization Process Applied
Supply continues to exceed demand. As of January 4, more than 136,000 visas were requested for the second half of FY2022 (start dates of April 1 or later). The cap limit for this period is 33,000 visas.
|Jan 24||Last Day for World Conference Regular Registration Prices|
|Jan 24||Idea Fair Entry Submission Deadline|
|Feb 2||Webinar: Password Management Tips That Won't Leave Your Head Spinning|
|Feb 18||Last Day to Vote Online|
|Feb 19-23||World Conference and Club Business Expo–San Diego Convention Center, CA|
|Mar 7-11||BMI Leadership Principles–Los Angeles, CA|
|Mar 7-11||BMI Strategic Leadership–Boston, MA|
|Mar 14-18||BMI Club Management–Georgia State University, Atlanta, GA (FULL)|
|Mar 14-18||BMI General Manager/Chief Operating Officer–Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI|
|May 16-20||BMI Golf Management–The Club at Admirals Cove, Jupiter, FL (FULL)|
Webinars begin at 2:00 p.m. Eastern Time, unless otherwise noted
Webinar registration opens approximately seven days prior to event
Additional webinars will be posted as they are scheduled